Member ASCAP and AFM
Currently studying with Berklee School of Music – Degree in progress
- Harvard University Online – 2013 Studies on Human Rights
- Berklee School of Music – 2012 Ableton Live Professional Certificate
- UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 1994 Extension School of Film Scoring
- University of Miami, Miami, FL 1987 Music Law
- Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA 1983-1984 Composition/Voice
- Rocky Horror Show – Music Director and Keyboards
- Historic Lincoln Theatre 2015 – Mount Vernon, WA
- Rock of Ages the musical – Music Director and Keyboards
NCL Breakaway – New York, NY (2nd run 5.0)
- Romeo and Juliet the musical – Music by Conrad Askland
World Premiere February 2015 – More info visit RJmusical.com
- Rock of Ages the musical – Music Director and Keyboards
NCL Breakaway – New York, NY (1st run 3.0)
- Burn the Floor – Music Director and Keyboards
NCL Breakaway – New York, NY
- PAN the Musical – Book, Music and Lyrics by Conrad Askland
World Premiere September 2013 – More info visit PanMusical.com
- Witches! the Musical – Book, Music and Lyrics by Conrad Askland
World Premiere October 2012 – More info visit WitchesMusical.com
- Cirque Du Soleil – ZAIA – Bandleader/Key 1 – Macau, China 2008-2012
- Royal Caribbean International – Show Band Pianist 2013 – RCCL Navigator of the Seas
- Bye Bye Birdie – Orchestra Conductor – McIntyre Hall 2007
- Rocky Horror Show – Music Director/Bandleader – Lincoln Theater 2007
- Brigadoon – Orchestra Conductor – McIntyre Hall and Kirkland PAC 2007
- Disney’s High School Musical – Music Director/Keyboards – McIntyre Hall 2007
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula – FX and Soundtrack – McIntyre Hall 2007
- Seussical the Musical – Orchestra Conductor – McIntyre Hall 2006
- Annie Get Your Gun – Orchestra Conductor – – McIntyre Hall and Kirkland PAC 2006
- AIDA – (Elton John) – Orchestra Conductor – McIntyre Hall 2006
- The Producers – Pit Keyboards – McIntyre Hall
- Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church – Music Director – 2006-2007
- Freddy Fender – Touring keyboardist – 1996-2005
- Road Records – Producer and Engineer – 1989-2005
- Shanghai China Music Festival – Concert Pianist – Sejung Piano 2003
- Victor Borge tribute show – Concert Pianist – Victorville CA 2003
- George Gershwin Tribute – Pianist – John Noxon Orchestra – 2003
- Grand Ol Opry CMT TV Show – Keyboardist – Freddy Fender 2002
- Roy Rogers Jr. – Keyboardist – Victorville, CA 1999-2002
- American Latin Music Awards (ALMA) ABC TV – Keyboards Freddy Fender 2002
- Finding Graceland (Movie) – Keyboardist – Sony Pictures 1998
- Knotts Berry Farm – Pianist – Calico Saloon, Bird Cage Theatre and street performer 1994-96
- Hollywood Stars – Music Director – Las Vegas and Japan Tours 1994-96
- South Korea Tour – Hardriders Southern Rock Band, Keys/Vocals 1993
- Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum – Music Director – 1992
- Little Shop of Horrors – Assistant Music Director – VVC 1991
- Keyboardist for country bands Cochise and High Noon 1990-1996
- Church of Religious Science pianist, Hesperia CA 1989-2005
- Victor Valley Mall pianist – Victorville, CA 1987-1989
- Nordstrom pianist – Bellevue, WA 1985-1986
- Choir of the West – Pacific Lutheran University 1984
- Seattle Chamber Singers – Bach St. Matthew Passion, George Shangrow dir. 1983
- St. Olaf Singers – St. Olaf University 1982
- Seattle Opera – Amahl and the Night Visitors – Title role 1979
- Northwest Boychoir – Westminster Abbey (EN), Notre Dame Cathedral (FR), Cathedral of Chartres (FR) and Wales – (1979 Choirboy of the Year) George Fiore and Steve Stevens dir. 1976-79
- Seattle Opera – Carmen, Boris Gudonov and Tosca – Chorus vocalist 1977-1979
FILM, VIDEO and CD ROM
- Witches! the Musical – DVD 2013 – Book, music and lyrics by Conrad Askland
- Alien Secrets film – “Seven Year Sleep” soundtrack song 2006
- Phonics Made Easy, Composer, School Zone Interactive 2003
- Freddy Fender, King of Tex Mex Live, DVD 2003
- Dream Quest – 2015 – Rock of Ages live performance segment
- In the Mix – PBS Series 2005 – Soundtrack composer
- American Latin Music Awards, ABC – (ALMA) Freddy Fender 2002
- Grand Ole Opry TV show – Keyboards Freddy Fender 2002
- Romeo and Juliet the musical – 2015 World Premiere
- PAN the musical – 2014 World Premiere
- Witches! the musical – 2013 World Premiere
Book, music and lyrics by Conrad Askland – www.WitchesMusical.com
- Cirque Du Soleil ZAIA Soundtrack 2009 – Keyboardist and String Arranger
- Music of Christmas – Producer 5 CD titles 2002-2005
- Nursery Tunes – Producer lullabye music 2003
- Freddy Fender – Blues and Me – Tracking Engineer 2001
- Natures Music – Field Engineer 10+ titles 1999-present
- Cheer Trax – Composer 14 CD titles 1999-2005
- Rap Track – Composer 25+ CD titles 1999-2005
- Meditations For Life – Composer 24 CD titles 1999-2000
- Raggen and the Dreamweaver – Original soundtrack 1994
- Guide to the Orchestra – Progressive Piano Studies 1993
- GTE – Two compact discs of all original on-hold music 1990
- Contel and Vark Industries – Two compact discs of classical on-hold music 1989
TECHNICAL, SOFTWARE AND SPECIALIZED SKILLS
- 2012 Ableton Live Specialist Certificate from Berklee School of Music
- ProTools editing, mixing, mastering, MIDI overdubs, integration of sample based arrangements with live musician and MIDI tracks
- Sibelius, Kontakt
- Sightread music, by ear, fake book charts or Nashville number system
- Music notation for fake book lead sheets, piano music or full orchestrations
- META Summer Theater Camps – 2006-2007
- Bakersfield High School Jazz Band – Guest artist 2004
- Private Piano Instructor – Victorville, CA 1989-2002
RESEARCH and SCHOLARLY ACTIVITIES
- Report on the Perversion of Science to Support Mysticism – April 2005
- Carlotta Diggs (R&B)
- Simple Andy (Alternative)
- Mary’s Garage Band (Folk Rock)
- 627 Band (Christian Rock)
- Joel Moss (Comedian)
- Lower Case A (Punk)
- Minus One (Punk)
- Mudfish (Blues Rock)
- Oppposite 3 (Punk)
- Rachel Jeffries (Piano Solo)
- Sin Sixty (Hip Hop)
- Wallbangers (Country Rock)
- Edgar Quinterros (Hispanic Pop)
- Temple Baptist Church – Holy Fire Choir
- New Faces Volume Four
- Brothers of the Creed (Christian Alternative)
- Versatile Aggression (Hardcore Rock)
- Albert Miranda (Christian Blues)
- Gina Keller(Country)
- Robby Combs Band (Christian Rock)
- Radio Active Donuts (Punk)
- Butter Band (Funk/Hip Hop/Blues/Rap)
- Off The Record (Retro Rock)
- New Faces Volume Three (Compilation)
- Paula Sexsmith (Contemporary Christian)
- Hate Mail (Punk)
- Gailyn Addis (AC/Pop/Electronica)
- Elvis Disciples (Punk)
- Angie LaDuke (Big Band/Country Swing)
- Karen Mitchell (AC/Pop)
- Headlock (Heavy Metal)
- New Faces Volume Two (Compilation)
- Wendy Schale (Christian Instrumental)
- Carol Dinise and Cathryn Howard (Catholic Praise/Liturgical)
- First Baptist Church of Hesperia (Southern Gospel)
- New Faces ’95 (Compilation)
Conrad Askland is a music producer and keyboardist. His educational and live performance experience covers an extremely wide range of styles and formats.
His formal music studies include Pacific Lutheran University (Composition and Voice), the University of Miami (Music Law), the Cornish Institute, the Seattle Early Music Guild and UCLA School of Film Scoring.
Conrad has extensive experience in live performance as a pianist for Cirque Du Soleil, Knott’s Berry Farm, 4 years as touring keyboardist with Grammy Winner Freddy Fender of the Texas Tornados, vocalist with the Seattle Opera, touring keyboardist for Roy Rogers Jr., performances at the House of Blues and Prince Hotels (Tokyo), the Grand ‘Ol Opry and as a keyboardist with various Southern California and Las Vegas show groups. He has also toured extensively throughout Europe, Asia and Japan and the United States. Conrad has also performed in England, France, Denmark, Wales, Holland, South Korea, Tokyo, Okinawa and Hiroshima.
As a musical director and/or conductor he has worked full time with such diverse groups as San Bernardino Summer Theater Festival, National Educator’s Conference and Hollywood Superstars. He has over 2,000 performances to his credit and also works as a freelance musical director.
In addition to scoring and composing for the albums he produces at Road Records he has composed and arranged for corporate entities including GTE and Contel, World Library Publications and United Airlines. He currently composes ongoing for nearly two dozen corporate clients at Road Records as well as producing commercial artist albums.
Originally from the Seattle suburb of Bellevue, WA, this Los Angeles area composer and arranger lives in the high desert of Southern California in Victorville.
Askland works as pianist and keyboardist for a variety of shows and his strongest styles are Stride Piano, Honkey Tonk, Classical, New Age, Country “Floyd Cramer” style, Southern Gospel and Big Band Swing and has often been compared to fellow piano players Harry Connick Jr., the Nashville country piano players of Little Feat and New Age artist Yanni.
Conrad engineers most of the projects at the studio and has also engineered many of the Road Records recording artists. His specialty is the wealth of theory and application knowledge he can apply to projects from classical orchestration to modern dance and techno. Most people would find him to be a strong believer in free speech for the arts and extremely passionate about his work.
Conrad is also very active in field recording and audio research. He currently composes and produces music for clients worldwide and is always creating new audio products for distribution.
Background – Formative Studies
Conrad Askland comes from a very strict and musical Norwegian family. His grandmother a touring jazz pianist in the 1930’s, his grandfather a touring jazz sax player, and his father an amateur opera singer.
As a child he was surrounded by strictly classical and Broadway music, not listening to pop music until in his teens. He started school late for health reasons, had difficulty relating to peers because of the age difference and quickly immersed himself in scholastic studies at an early age. His interest in music was very apparent.
At age 8 he enrolled in the Northwest Boys Choir, an extremely strict regime at the time focusing on early music in Latin and Baroque/Classical music, very similiar to the Vienna Boys Choir. This was the beginning of his intense music studies. The group traveled throughout Europe performing at major cathedrals and regularly performed with the Seattle Symphony and other classical music groups. This led to inclusion as a regular vocalist with the Seattle Opera chorus and eventually a lead role with the Seattle Opera. Performing in a boys’ choir was not generally accepted by his peers and he delved further into full time music studies.
At age 9 Conrad began piano studies with the church organist. He was passed on to a concert pianist instructor at age 12 and continued to take from various teachers through college. At this time he was also beginning to reduce orchestral scores on the piano and learning opera scores to accompany himself for vocal practice.
At age 10 he began French Horn which he studied until college and was enrolled regularly in the Honors Youth Orchestra and High School Orchestra. He took regular lessons from the 1st chair french horn of the Seattle Symphony, and was exposed to an incredible amount of orchestral music through the instrument. In college he was limited to the number of instruments he could enroll in and decided to give up french horn.
At age 12 he began studying bass guitar, playing in the jr. high and high school jazz bands. Although not an incredible player, it gave him another perspective on music theory, jazz voicings and probably accounts for his incredibly strong and quick left hand on the piano.
Through high school he took private composition lessons at the Cornish Institue in Seattle, private voice lessons with classical recitals, was a regular solo vocalist and keyboard performer at his Lutheran church, perfomed with the Seattle Chorus and involved in regular music camp studies at St. Olaf and other colleges, and was a regular pianist on staff at Nordstrom. He strongly disliked being in high school and graduated 2 years early from Interlake High School at the age of 16 with 4 honors including academic scholarship.
At age 16 he entered immediately into summer school at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wa for a major in composition and minor in vocal performance. By 17 he had tested into Junior level standing and was studying and performing in all top groups.
At 18 Conrad began playing piano for Nordstrom in Bellevue, WA and began circulating with performance groups. At 21 he studied copyright law and international finance at the University of Miami and later relocated to Victorville, CA. Although Victorville may seem an unlikely place for music production, it lies half way between Las Vegas and Los Angeles which provided easy access to performance venues during his early studies.
His methods are sometimes unconventional, doing whatever it takes to bring musical productions “full circle” to completion. He continues his studies to this day with classes and heavy reading.