Sibelius Shortcuts for Mac
A list of Mac shortcuts for Sibelius notation software that I find useful when writing music notation.
- Change Noteheads – Select the passage and then hold down Shift+Alt (Win) or Shift+Option (Mac), and press the desired number across the top of the keyboard. Normal notation is the number 0 (zero).
- Show or Hide – Shift++H
- Copy existing to new location – Click on the item to select it. It will turn blue when selected. Hold down the Shift+Alt keys (Win) Shift+Option keys (Mac) and click the mouse in the desired location. The Shift key ensures that the copied item will paste in the same location. You can also copy and paste to a group of staves.
- Anything typed after a ~ is automatically hidden. Be sure Hidden Objects is turned on in the View menu.
- “J” for dip.
- Patch Changes:
1.Use the shortcut CTRL+T (Win) or +T Mac to enter Technique text.
2. Enter the text: ~p7. The number 7 is the harpsichord playback number in General MIDI. If you are using an external MIDI device that counts from zero, then enter ~p6.
3. Drag the technique text so it appears just before the note where you want the sound change to take place.
- Panoramic View (shortcut Shift+P)
SETTING UP REWIRE WITH SIBELIUS
- Launch your DAW software that is ReWire compatible
- Create a new project in the DAW software and add a stereo audio or aux channel and configure it for ReWire (consult your DAW user manual). There are some helpful ReWire tutorials at http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/ReWirehelp/.
- Launch Sibelius and load the Sibelius file you wish to use. If the DAW is properly configured all audio playback is routed to the mixer application rather than to your soundcard.
- To terminate the ReWire connection, quit your DAW software first and then quit Sibelius, or remove the ReWire track from your DAW’s project window, then quit Sibelius.
SOURCES FOR ROYALTY FREE MOVIE CLIPS
- The Sibelius install disk in the Video folder
- Go to http://www.sibeliuseducation.com and download additional movie clips.
- The Hubble Web site: http://hubblesource.stsci.edu/sources/video/clips/
- The Library of Congress Dance Instruction manuals and videos.
- Internet Archive Movies:
- Other options include creating a collage of pictures
VIEWING SCORCH FILES
Viewing Scorch Files
The first step is to view some Scorch files, and then we’ll go through the steps of converting your final project to Scorch. If you have never viewed Scorch files before, you will be prompted to download the Scorch plug-in. You can download the Scorch plug-in from www.sibelius.com/products/scorch.
Let’s go to the Sibelius book companion Web site, where versions of the chapter files are saved in Scorch format.
- Go to www.sibeliusbook.com
- Click on Chapter Files/Downloads.
- Click on the Chapter 7 Scorch format of “The Easy Winners.” The filename is: TEWscore.htm.
- If you get the warning to download the plug-in, click it and it will take you to thewww.sibelius.com/scorch Web page. Download the plug-in.
WEBSITES THAT USE SCORCH FOR PLAYBACK
The Vermont MIDI project is geared for student composers. Student work is showcased using Scorch.
Music can be purchased in a variety of formats. Music is displayed using Scorch.
This site is an example of a commercial site that has turned off printing unless you purchase a membership. Click on the “Play” link to listen to a file.
This is a site that Sibelius hosts and, as of this writing, it features more than 60,000 scores. Some are free and others you must purchase; more on this Web site later in this lesson.
WHERE TO GET SIBELIUS SUPPORT
- Use the Sibelius book’s index.
- Use the Sibelius Reference (in Sibelius, choose Help > Reference).
- Review the Sibelius video tutorials.
- Sibelius 5: Help > Tutorial Videos
- Sibelius 6: http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/movies/index.html
- Visit the Sibelius Help Center http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter
- Contact Sibelius Technical Support http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/contact.html
- Search the support articles
- Browse the user Forum
- Email Technical Support
- Post a discussion question to the Sibelius forum: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=shownewthread&groupid=3
- Voice telephone tech support: Registered users up to 30 days can call toll–free. After 30 days the call to tech support will cost a fee.
If you have registered Sibelius less than 30 days ago:
Outside US & Canada: 1-650-731-6106
If you registered Sibelius more than 30 days ago: 650-731-6106
- Download and print out a copy of Robin Hodson’s Sibelius Quickstart guide. It includes a comprehensive list of the Sibelius shortcuts and many other excellent tips. This guide and other tutorials are available from the Sibelius Web site at:http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/hintsandtips/index.html
- Join a Sibelius user group. There is a comprehensive list of Sibelius-related links athttp://www.rpmseattle.com/sibelius. There is also a comprehensive list of third-party products for Sibelius on this site.