Yin Yang. They are not completely black or white, just as things in life are not completely black or white, and they cannot exist without each other.
Highlights of Information from Wikipedia:
- the concept of yin yang is often referred to in the West as “yin and yang”
- Yin is the black side with the white dot on it and yang is the white side with the black dot on it.
- Yin yang are not opposing forces (dualities), but complementary opposites that interact within a greater whole, as part of a dynamic system.
- There is a perception (especially in the West) that yin and yang correspond to evil and good. However, Taoist philosophy generally discounts good/bad distinctions and other dichotomous moral judgments, in preference to the idea of balance.
- Yin and yang are always opposite and equal qualities
- It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite, since yin and yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole (e.g. you cannot have the back of a hand without the front).